I’ve been a kids hairdresser for more than 20 years! I’ve owned a salon, been mobile and now also collaborate with children’s play centres such as Atlantis Play Centre in Clarkson and Darlings Day Out, Wangara in Perth.
So as you can imagine I have seen a lot of happy times and a lot of unhappy times when it comes to a child’s first haircut. And a few tantrums too with some stressed out parents along the way. So I have put together a few helpful hints & tips that have been tried and tested over the years, to help get you ready for this memorable day.
Preparing for you Childs first Haircut
A haircut is new and can be a daunting experience for your child, so be prepare for any tears or fears that may happen on the day.
- Always try and take your child to a kids salon or specialist hairdresser as we are trained professionals and can handle anything that comes our way from tantrums over not wanting to wear a cape, to tears, fidgeting, and all the emotions that may surface at this time, including being scared.
- May sure your child has had some to eat and drink first and has already had their nap during the day, or come earlier in the morning as close to their wake up time as possible.
- When talking about your child’s haircut, never use the word “cut” as this word they associate with being hurt! I get them to sit in a big red chair and watch their favourite show on TV plus I’ll also even give them a treat like a lollipop or baby chino and we may even sing their favourite songs to keep them happy and distracted. I suggest that you change the word haircut to “Trim” anything you like just not “cut.”
During the haircut
- When you bring your child to MopTops we call the clippers (for the boys) the “Tickley machine” and we always switch them on infront of the child so that it doesn’t take them by surprise. Kids are usually not familiar with all the tools, so that’s why it’s so important not just go to any hairdresser as your child might get scared and this will affect them having future haircuts.
- Also remember YOU must relax. Because your child will pick up on you feeling nervous or emotional, as much as we like your child to sit in the chair, if they are having trouble or fussing, you are more than welcome to sit her or him on your lap.
- If you want to save a lock of hair for the “Baby Book “as your childs hair will change in colour and texture, we also have the option of a 1st Haircut Certificate with a lock of hair to remember this special day!!
Try to make it a fun time. Say they are coming to get a hair “Trim” and they can play in the centre afterwards as a treat (If they are coming to me) You could even organise a play date and you can have a coffee catch up too!! Great way to catch up with friends at the same time J
Chris @ MopTops Haircare 4 Kids